King, Bishop, Knight, Pioneer: the Social and Architectural Significance of Old St Paul’s Church, Emily Place, Auckland. 1841-1885

ResearchSpace Repository

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.advisor Bryder, L en
dc.contributor.advisor McKay, B en
dc.contributor.author Hawkins, Simeon en
dc.date.accessioned 2020-08-06T21:51:45Z en
dc.date.issued 2020 en
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/2292/52520 en
dc.description.abstract This thesis examines the cultural significance of the Anglican Church of St Paul, Emily Place, Auckland (1841-1885), from a variety of social and architectural perspectives. It begins by exploring the social factors which led to the foundation of the church, including the religious aspirations of those early settlers here in New Zealand as well as those of the institutions supporting them back in Britain. Chapter two considers the fluctuating prominence of St Paul’s Church and its leaders with the officially recognised entities of power, namely as vice-regal church of the governors, pro-cathedral for the Anglican Church and Church of the Garrison for the colonial military. Chapter three looks at the more local influences St Paul’s had on Ngāti Whātua [and Ngati Paoa] Anglican converts, its close ties with Auckland freemasonry, its role in establishing and supporting education in the capital, along with social welfare and the care of orphans. Architecturally, St Paul’s was New Zealand’s first Gothic Revival building and appeared during the infancy of this radical design movement in Britain and before anything comparable in Australia. It was also the first New Zealand church to be built of permanent materials and it survived where many others collapsed. The evolution of the building itself is interwoven through these chapters, charting its design, beautification and embellishment, its enlargement, and at the same time noting its problematic ‘patchwork’ construction, and ultimately, the reasons for its demolition. It concludes that these social and architectural factors demonstrate that St Paul’s Church was not only a physical landmark in the colonial township, but also a cultural landmark signifying British intentions for, and authority within, the developing Auckland community, as well as that emerging in the wider colonial context. An attempt is also made in evaluating the ways in which this cultural endeavour proved successful or not. Inspired by four stained glass windows in St Paul’s replacement building, this discussion attempts to chart the complex interrelationships between Church as ‘community’ and Church as ‘building’ in the context of a colonial settlement almost as far from the heart of Empire as one could get. en
dc.publisher ResearchSpace@Auckland en
dc.relation.ispartof Masters Thesis - University of Auckland en
dc.relation.isreferencedby UoA en
dc.rights Items in ResearchSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Previously published items are made available in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher. en
dc.rights.uri https://researchspace.auckland.ac.nz/docs/uoa-docs/rights.htm en
dc.title King, Bishop, Knight, Pioneer: the Social and Architectural Significance of Old St Paul’s Church, Emily Place, Auckland. 1841-1885 en
dc.type Thesis en
thesis.degree.discipline History en
thesis.degree.grantor The University of Auckland en
thesis.degree.level Masters en
dc.rights.holder Copyright: The author en
dc.rights.accessrights http://purl.org/eprint/accessRights/OpenAccess en
pubs.elements-id 809865 en
pubs.record-created-at-source-date 2020-08-07 en


Files in this item

Find Full text

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Share

Search ResearchSpace


Advanced Search

Browse

Statistics