Digital monitoring by whole body photography and sequential digital dermoscopy detects thinner melanomas.

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Rademaker, Marius
dc.contributor.author Oakley, Amanda
dc.coverage.spatial Australia
dc.date.accessioned 2022-05-22T22:44:22Z
dc.date.available 2022-05-22T22:44:22Z
dc.date.issued 2010-12
dc.identifier.citation (2010). Journal of Primary Health Care, 2(4), 268-272.
dc.identifier.issn 1172-6164
dc.identifier.uri https://hdl.handle.net/2292/59415
dc.description.abstract <h4>Introduction</h4>Population screening for melanoma remains controversial. There are no studies demonstrating that population screening increases survival. As prognosis of melanoma is directly related to Breslow thickness, a surrogate marker of survival is thickness of melanoma. The development of several self-referred, whole-body photography and sequential digital dermoscopy imaging services reflects the public's concern regarding melanoma.<h4>Aim</h4>To assess the ability of one of these services to detect melanoma at an early, thin stage.<h4>Methods</h4>Demographic and histological details from 100 melanomas diagnosed through self-referred whole-body photography and sequential digital dermoscopy imaging service compared to those diagnosed through traditional methods from data held by the New Zealand Cancer Registry.<h4>Results</h4>There were 52 invasive and 48 in-situ melanomas: 90% superficial spreading type, 6% lentigo-maligna type and 4% nodular on histology. Forty-eight were diagnosed on first visit; the remainder by serial digital dermoscopy. Thirty-five percent of patients reported having had previous primary melanoma. In 60%, patients had been concerned by the lesion, the rest (40%) detected solely by screening. Patients diagnosed by whole-body photography and sequential digital dermoscopy screening had thinner melanomas compared to the Registry data: 69% <0.75 mm Breslow thickness compared to 52% (p=0.0216); only 1.9% thicker than 3 mm compared to 10.8% (p=0.067).<h4>Discussion</h4>Melanomas detected by self-referred, whole-body photography with sequential digital dermoscopy service are thinner than melanomas detected by traditional diagnostic methods. It remains to be determined whether earlier diagnosis results in improved survival.
dc.format.medium Electronic
dc.language eng
dc.publisher CSIRO Publishing
dc.relation.ispartofseries Journal of primary health care
dc.rights Items in ResearchSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Previously published items are made available in accordance with the copyright policy of the publisher.
dc.rights.uri https://researchspace.auckland.ac.nz/docs/uoa-docs/rights.htm
dc.rights.uri https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
dc.subject Humans
dc.subject Melanoma
dc.subject Skin Neoplasms
dc.subject Dermoscopy
dc.subject Photography
dc.subject Neoplasm Staging
dc.subject Registries
dc.subject Time Factors
dc.subject Adult
dc.subject Aged
dc.subject Middle Aged
dc.subject Primary Health Care
dc.subject New Zealand
dc.subject Female
dc.subject Male
dc.subject Whole Body Imaging
dc.subject Early Detection of Cancer
dc.subject Young Adult
dc.subject Cancer
dc.subject 4.2 Evaluation of markers and technologies
dc.subject 1110 Nursing
dc.subject 1117 Public Health and Health Services
dc.title Digital monitoring by whole body photography and sequential digital dermoscopy detects thinner melanomas.
dc.type Journal Article
dc.identifier.doi 10.1071/hc10268
pubs.issue 4
pubs.begin-page 268
pubs.volume 2
dc.date.updated 2022-04-18T21:15:21Z
dc.rights.holder Copyright: The author en
dc.identifier.pmid 21125066 (pubmed)
pubs.author-url https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21125066
pubs.end-page 272
pubs.publication-status Published
dc.rights.accessrights http://purl.org/eprint/accessRights/OpenAccess en
pubs.subtype Comparative Study
pubs.subtype Evaluation Study
pubs.subtype Journal Article
pubs.elements-id 852136
pubs.org-id Medical and Health Sciences
pubs.org-id School of Medicine
pubs.org-id Medicine Department
dc.identifier.eissn 1172-6156
pubs.record-created-at-source-date 2022-04-19


Files in this item

Find Full text

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Share

Search ResearchSpace


Browse

Statistics